God's own country first time : Kovalam and Kuthira Mallika palace

God might have taken too much time to create this part of the world. Kerala has all the flavors which attracts tourist all over the world. It has some of the best beaches, some of the best hill stations, back water with houseboats, water falls, a unique culture, dance, temples, rituals and food.  I missed my opportunity to visit this beautiful place when mindtree friends of mine went there. But I got my opportunity after I joined NeST, a Kerala based company. It was located in the capital of Kerala, Trivendrum.


Though I was there for 2 weeks, because of the humid climate I couldn't visit the places as planned.

I listed out the places referring wiki travel which are of significance. I called Arun, my lead in mindtree to know about the places.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Thiruvananthapuram

I listed out these places, but visited only 2 places : Kuthira mallika palace with palace musuem and kovalam beach.
  • Kovalam beach
  • Shanghumukham beach
  • Veli village
  • Padmanabha temple
  • Kuthira mallika palace and Ramanayar palace museum
  • Padmanabhapuram palace
  • Napier museum
Even I had a plan to visit Kanyakumari. We can hire a taxi for 1 or 2 days to visit Kanyakumari. But couldn't capitalize on the plan.

My accommodation was done in Ginger hotel, Kazhakoottam, which is very near to the techno park, Trivendrum. From Ginger hotel, you will get a transport helpline and also different travel
plans.

@Ginger hotel


Kuthira Mallika palace :

I left hotel around 9 o clock. I took a bus from kazhakoottam to East fort. Pabnabhaswamy temple was nominated for 7 wonders of the world because of its carvings. I decided to visit Kuthira Mallika palace first ahead of temple . I waited for the opening of  palace.  Photography was not allowed inside but we took photos outside. The palace is built with Kerala's traditional architecture.  It is made up of rosewood, teak wood, marble and granite.It is a unique architecture where climate, sound and other environmental factors are considered.

Palace and museum

artifacts for sale in front of museum
After coming out of palace museum, I had little time left for Kovalam. To get entry into temple, we should wear traditional clothes and keep stuffs like camera in the temple counter. Since Kovalam was my top priority, I decided to leave.

Padmanabha Swamy temple

Kovalam beach :

I had little snacks and moved towards the bus stand.From east fort, there are volvo buses to Kovalam. I met one person from Andhra pradesh near temple who accompanied me to Kovalam beach also. Knowing different people and culture is part of our journey.

We are all sailors
Kovalam beach is one of the most beautiful beach in India. 17 km wide beach is divided into 3 small beaches. Even after visiting there I was not sure about division. Then my research showed that the one I visited was Light house beach and Hawa beach. Ashoka beach which is also part of Kovalam beach seperates samudra beach from Hawa beach..

Fully crowded Hawa beach

My stranger friend (in background light house beach)
Hawa beach is the first topless beach in India. Now it is completely banned but you find more foreigners in the bikinis.

Water sports available
You find water sports, ayurvedic salons here.  I didn't go to any one of the fun activities. Sun set is a treat to watch and don't miss it.

sunset

Kovalam is named after the coconut trees which is found here abundantly.

Did I missed any thing ? I know you are thinking about the beautiful girls. The shining black hair applied with coconut hair, the beautiful eyes and traditional kerala sari depicts the Trivendrum women.

I had a fond memory of my first visit to Kerala. Though language was a big problem, I was able to manage. You don't get buses frequently like in Bangalore. Buses will not be available frequently after 8 PM. You get prepaid autos near the east fort bus stop. Be careful about hiring an auto other than prepaid auto. I nearly had a fight with an auto driver.

Kerala is unique and no doubt one of the most beautiful creation of God. Narrow roads welcome you but what welcomes you later is their love for culture and nature.This visit has made me to understand how important for us to save our culture and nature for the next generation. Even after having one of the oldest language as our language, we don't want to preserve our language for future generation. (Research has shown Kannada dates back to BC and is one of the oldest language in India along with Sanskrit and Prakrit. Wikipedia doesn't mention this fact.)


Finally I suggest you to visit Kerala once in a life time and you will also become an ambassador for Kerala tourism :-)




Previous
Next Post »